Kay O’Halloran is former Director of the Multimodal Analysis Lab and Associate Professor in the Department of English Language & Literature at the National University of Singapore where she taught and undertook research in multimodal analysis since 1998. She joined the School of Education at Curtin University in July 2013.
Kay O’Halloran is an internationally recognised scholar in multimodal analysis and she has given plenary addresses on multimodal approaches to mathematics and science and the use of digital technology for multimodal analysis at international conferences in Australia, England, Japan, Italy, Austria and Finland.
Kay O’Halloran established the multimedia laboratory, the Laboratory for Research in Semiotics (LRS) in the Department of English Language & Literature in 2000 to undertake research in multimodality with her Semiotics Research Group (SRG). She is editor of Multimodal Discourse Analysis (2004, reprinted 2006), a volume featuring her postgraduate students’ research in multimodality, and her latest publications include Mathematical Discourse: Language, Symbolism and Visual Images (2005). She developed Systemics 1.0 software for linguistic analysis, in collaboration with Associate Professor Kevin Judd (Mathematics Department, University of Western Australia) in 2002.
Kay O’Halloran received her Ph.D. degree in Communication Studies from Murdoch University (Western Australia), and her B.Sc. (mathematics), Dip.Ed. and B.Ed. (1st Class Honours) from the University of Western Australia.
Kay O’Halloran is plenary speaker at these conferences from 2007 to 2010
- 4th Finnish Symposium on Functional Linguistics and Multisemiotic Discourse Analysis – MUST-4
Digital Approaches to Multimodal Analysis
University of Lapland (Rovaniemi), Finland 28-29 November 2011
- 6th Annual Conference of the Latin American Systemic-Functional Linguistics Association (ALSFAL)
Critical Multimodal Discourse Studies
Universidade Estadual Do Ceara (UECE), Brazil 7-9 October 2010
- Multiliteracies: Exposing, Exploring and Experimenting – English Language Teaching Seminar 2009 (ELTS 2009)
Language and Multiliteracies: Making The Connection
Ministry of Education (MOE) Singapore 18-20 November 2009
- The 3rd Finnish Symposium on Functional Linguistics and Multisemiotic Discourse Analysis (MUST-3) – Analysing Film and Video from Multisemiotic Discourse Perspectives
Software for Social Semiotic Research and Analysis of Multimodal Film Texts
University of Helsinki, Finland 26-28 August 2009
- The Territoire / Places of Writing Studies in Higher Education: Canadian and International Perspectives
A Multimodal Approach to Discourse Studies: A Paradigm with New Research Questions, Agendas and Directions for the Digital Age
Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 24-26 May 2009
- Disciplinarity, Knowledge and Language Symposium
Accumulating Knowledge across Semiotic Resources and Modalities
University of Sydney, Australia 8-10 December 2008
- University of Malaya Conference on Discourse and Society (UMDS) 2008
Multimodal Discourse Analysis: Theory and Practice
University of Malaya, Malaysia 14-15 August 2008
- 35th Systemic Functional Congress (ISFC35)
Multimodality Around the World: Past, Present and Future Directions for Research
Macquarie University, Sydney Australia 21-25 July 2008
- Identity in Text Interpretation and Everyday Life Conference
Texts, Identity, and Everyday Life in the Digital Age
Hermeneutic Study and Education of Textual Configuration (HERSETEC)
Global Centre of Excellence (COE) Program
Nagoya University, Japan 9-10 Feb 2008
- Semiotic Margins: Reclaiming Meaning Conference
Inter-Semiotic Expansion of Meaning: Hierarchical Scales and Metaphor in Mathematics Discourse
University of Sydney, Australia 10-12 December 2007
- 1st Finnish Symposium on Functional Linguistics and Multisemiotic Discourse Analysis
Developing & Using Interactive Digital Media (IDM) for Multimodal Discourse Analysis: Research in the Multimodality Lab, Interactive Digital Media Institute (IDMI), Singapore
University of Helsinki, Finland 4-7 July 2007
Kay O’Halloran GCOE Conference Nagoya – February 2008
Kay O’Halloran is invited speaker at these workshops, seminars & events from 2007 -2010
- Multimodal Digital Semiotics
MultiSemiotics: Introductory Workshop
Aalto University, Helsinki
1-2 December 2011.
- Multimodal Analysis Software
Invited Seminars at the Faculty of Education and Arts
Edith Cowan University, Western Australia
27-28 October 2011.
- Multimodal Discourse Analysis: The Interaction of Language, Image and Audio Resources in Multimedia Data
2011 Workshop on Social Computing and Cultural Modeling, hosted by National Electronics and Computer Technology Centre (NECTEC ) Thailand and sponsored by Office of Naval Research Global, AOARD and US Army International Technology Centre Pacific.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1-4 March 2011.
- Multi-Modal Literacy and Analyses
Pearson Education South Asia Pte Ltd Annual Meeting
Pearson Education, Singapore
25-26 February 2010.
- O’Halloran, Kay L. & Judd, Kevin.
Social Cultural Modeling of Effective Influence
Cognition Decision Human Systems Interface and Socio-Cultural Modeling Joint Program Review.
US Air Force Office Scientific Research (AFOSR), Arlington, USA,
25-29 January 2010
- Print and Digital Texts Workshop
English Language Teaching Seminar (ELTS 2009) Multiliteracies: Exposing, Exploring and Experimenting
Ministry of Education (Singapore), Singapore Management University,
18-20 November 2009
- Social Semiotic Analysis: ‘Gesture’ from HSBC ‘Cultural Collisions’ Advertising Campaign Workshop>
The 3rd Finnish Symposium on Functional Linguistics and Multisemiotic Discourse Analysis – MUST-3
University of Helsinki, Finland, 26-28 August 2009
- Systemic Functional Tools for Multimodal Analysis of Social Relations
Social Disorganisation and Human Evolution: Media Disruption of Social Transmission Workshop
Queen’s University Belfast, United Kingdom, 24-27 September 2008
- From Systemic Functional Linguistics to Multimodal Discourse Analysis
Department of Foreign Languages and Applied Linguistics Seminar
Yuan Ze University, Taipei, Taiwan, 8 June 2007
- Systemic Functional Multimodal Discourse Analysis Approach to Mathematics and Science Discourse
Graduate Institute of Science Education Seminar
National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan, 7 June 2007